As Valentine’s Day approaches, it’s time to think about Getting Lucky—in blogging, that is!
By Shelley Widhalm
Is it easy to get noticed when facing a number like 600 million?
Yes, when it comes to blogging as long as you find the right audience among the 6 million blogs posted daily and 2.5 billion a year.
At first, the numbers can seem daunting. Everyone’s blogging so why should you? How can you possibly gain traction with so much competition?
For one, blogs are almost the expectation for writers, entrepreneurs and business owners to promote their books and businesses and get their ideas and written content to readers, customers and clients.
But they can seem like a chore or a time sucker, keeping you away from what you really want to do. In business-speak, there is a big ROI, since blogs, if done effectively, can gain SEO-traction for higher online rankings.
Blogs help with marketing, branding and creating a platform. They demonstrate expertise and authority in a subject, offering value to readers. And they help create relationships and convert readers to customers, resulting in engagement and a following.
Top 7 Blogging Tips
To get your blog noticed and to get that engagement from readers, here are a few things you can do to improve your blog in the New Year.
- Post on a regular basis at the same time and on the same day. Optimal is once a week, but twice a month also is great for visibility.
- Write short- or medium-length blogs to keep the attention. Short blogs are about 200 to 400 words; medium-sized blogs, 500 to 700 words; and article-type blogs, 1,000 words are more.
- Create blogs that educate, inform or entertain and not just to fill space for SEO. Blogs produced through content mills are about clicks, providing little meaning and value.
- Think about whom you are you writing to, what voice you want to use to reach them and what it is you want to say. Also, keep to a core subject or theme.
- Figure out what you want to say about your business, your newest product or service, or your latest book. You can show your process of creation or give a behind-the-scenes look in your business. Or you can talk about your life as a business owner, writer or artist.
- Include related photos or images to draw attention to your text and to give a visual representation of your content.
- Promote your blogs on social media at least three times, preferably every other day.
The Advantages of Blogs
Blogs have many advantages. They can bring traffic to your website and hopefully into your business. They build relationships with readers through regular connection. And they separate you from the competition.